Monday, April 6, 2020

Stuff in General

We rode the bikes yesterday, not that long and not that far.  However, I've once again lost the calluses on my ischial tuberosities.  Today would not have been a good riding day.  After spending too much time this morning reading about the horror show in our nation's capitol, I decided to make a new mask pattern.  It's a pleated mask.  It's really uncomfortable.  I'm not sure if the fabric was at fault or what.  The first two are lined with flannel which may have something to do with how good they feel.  Tomorrow I will return to the complicated, but comfortable, pattern.  Good thing I put fabric in storage for those 11 years we were out of a house, I have much flannel and much quilting 100% cotton.

Here is another angle of the bougainvillea.  I am so taken by how good he looks and how fast he came back from being half dead.  Each year we have to remind ourselves that they grow like weeds.



This is a pressure oil can, it's like a pump.  Someone has deposited it on top of our community mailbox and marked it as free.  This looks like littering to me.  Why don't they put it on Nextdoor? Or why don't they just put it in the trash.


This is attached to one of the step through gates into Tucson Mountain Park.  Eternal vigilance is required.


More cactus beauty.


I think my brain has changed in my dotage.  When I was working, I made tailored pants with zippers, and shirts with buttons, suits and other complicated things.  Following a printed pattern was not difficult for me.  Now I find that the written instructions for these masks are difficult to interpret, I resort to the instructional videos.  I guess my brain really is turning in to mush.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not making masks, but I watched a couple of videos. I don't think it's you that's the problem. I think it's the videos made by people who don't sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a fussy pattern, but it fits well.

      https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

      Delete
  2. People here also set things by the road for free pick-up. And, usually whatever is gone by end of day. I'm not sure masks are smart - everything I've read says they need be worn by those that are sick, by those that are in close contact with the sick, or those that have severe health issues. Plus you need to know how to take a mask off safely. That said - a lot of people are wearing them here also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CDC has changed their guidance on masks and wants people to wear them (properly). It's to contain the droplets and aerosols of people who may be infected and not know it yet. To be effective, everyone has to do it. If you google on "cdc guidance on wearing a mask" a slew of articles come up. I'm finding a little psychological advantage in the grocery store, even though I know they can't filter out much of anything.

      Delete
  3. Those prickly pear blooms are beautiful. I usually get my dose of spring cactus blooms at the Desert Botanical Garden. I think I'm going to have to find another way or just look at photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the mask pattern is harder to follow because a mask is such a foreign thing for any of us to have to make or wear. Like, you can envision a finished dress or trousers. But a mask is like an alien thing. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

    Glad the bougainvillea has bounced back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your last comment is fascinating. My retired sister, a beautiful sewer, made me a lovely, good mask. My daughter, a nurse who is equally as meticulous and good sewer as my sister, made me two masks that were bad speed sewing. Oh, well. Steve could be right, and I know my sister is a pro at turning things right side out and clipping corners and pressing seams.
    Another cheer for your bouganvilla.

    ReplyDelete