Saturday, April 18, 2020

Cactus and Clouds

Alas, alack, I did not get up early enough to catch the complete beauty of the cactus flower.  It had already started to fade by the time I got to it.  So aggravating.


The top petals had started to fall, obscuring the view of the stamens; or are they pistils.  The hairy things inside were not very visible.  So that was disappointing.  Maybe next year I'll get a better shot.  The other problem is that the flower is facing west, so one must point the camera to the east which is bad lighting.


 The sky was pretty cool.  Look at the cloud formations.


Later there was a restorative hike in the desert.  Some of the staghorn and buckhorn chollas are starting their bloom.  This is a staghorn, note the purple color of the cactus.


This is a teddy bear cholla.  They are so furry looking, but are actually quite painful.


Still my favorite - the prickly pear across the street.


Can you see the ripples in the clouds?  It's really windy up there.  It was really windy on the ground, as well.


Since I can't completely give it a rest, I will put a link up to an excellent NYT piece about what the next one or two years will be like.  The future is not great, you should give it a read.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. I read the article earlier tonight. When I came on it in the news feed I was sad, my NYT has run out and I have not renewed it and therefore could not read the article. I clicked on it anyway, and there now is a notice that says in the interest of keeping us all in the know about Covid19, any article they had would be a free read.
    I have never seen cloud formations like the rolls in your picture. That is what beautifully carded wool roving looks like. Rolls like that spin into worsted wool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying seeing the desert bloom through your lens. Your favorite is also my favorite. It reminds me of a slice of ripe papaya. But I also love the top photo, as that is a cactus bloom I have never seen before. Thanks for capturing it. Though it may have been a little late, still such a magnificent thing of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blooms on the cacti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so funny that there are such amazing blooms on something as off-putting as cactus, grown in an area with little to no water. Beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew a young man who went to college down there some place near where you live. He collected prickly pears when they came on and made prickly pear jam. Some of the most interesting and delightful stuff I have ever had. He squeezed the juice out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read part of that piece but I didn't get through it all. It got a little into the weeds on all the science of clinical trials, I thought. But yeah, pretty bleak.

    At least we have an idea what your new cactus's blooms look like! I think your pictures worked out pretty well, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I opened the link but I haven't read it yet, I'll get to it later.

    very cool clouds. I've seen similar to the first photo but not quite so dense. and how disappointing to miss the flower! did you know it was a night bloomer? like with my night blooming cereus, I'll not that the buds will probably open that night and then forget to look and the next morning they are closed and all droopy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that small cactus with the huge bloom! I have one like it in the cactus garden bowl sitting on Beluga's dashboard. I had no idea it "could" blossom like that. I wonder if mine ever will. Thanks for showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your sky shots! Beautiful clouds. It was windy up here yesterday too. That article was interesting but also scary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandparents had a very similar if not the same cactus variety in Florida, and yes, it did only bloom once, and at night. Elusive to be sure, but I was fortunate enough to be there for it at least once or twice. Lovely photos, lovely clouds, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete