Saturday, December 26, 2015

Boxing Day

It's the day after Christmas.  I have a vestigial memory of hitting the sales on Boxing Day.  When we were working, we were up and out before dawn to attend the Nordstrom men's sale.  In a carefully choreographed campaign, Jim would go to suits and I would go to shirts and ties.  The prices really were good enough to justify getting up that early.  One year, when we lived in West Seattle, it was snowing; we went anyway.  After Nordstrom there was the half price or less sale on Christmas tree ornaments at Holiday Lane.  I went there.  The store was always packed, and they never had enough baskets to put stuff in.  We all came out covered in glitter from cradling ornaments to our bosoms.  Sometimes I miss shopping, but mostly I don't. Currently I can spend about 15 minutes in a department store, and then I must leave. Online shopping is what's happening for me.

Jim has been to his first physical therapy appointment.  We like the guy he's been assigned.  The facility is owned by Tucson Orthopedic, and it's sort of an assembly line. However, for a month we can stand it.  The first thing the PT did was readjust the crutches, and Jim's posture improved instantly.  The PT was impressed by how much range of motion there is in the surgical ankle.
So now there is homework.  Jim scrunches a towel on the tile floor with his toes, and then writes the alphabet in the air with his foot.  That is harder than you think it is.  I did that after each foot surgery and spraining my ankle.  Then there is stretching, using a strap under the foot.  We'll see the PT twice a week for a month, and then go back to see the surgeon.  The next visit to the surgeon should result in Jim putting on a shoe.

In news of the locale, we still have the hummingbirds.  This morning I got up at 7:30 to put the feeder out.  Before picking up the ladder, I set the feeder down on the small white table next to the door.  A hummer arrived immediately, hovered over each perch and then left.  So I suppose that was a message to hurry up.  This is our girl hummer.


A bee on the crock pot last week.  He spent a lot of time walking around the edges.


Sunsets here have been fairly puny.  Cloud depth has not been optimal.


It's cold!  The high today is in the upper 40's, but the wind is just howling.  There is a river of cold air coming in through the driver's side slides from the wind out of the west.  Tomorrow it's supposed to be calmer, that will be good.  The rain that was forecast never arrived and I am OK with that.

Other than this paltry offering, I have zippity doo dah all to report.

7 comments:

  1. We decided since it was already cold, we would drive up to Mt Lemmon and get colder!! Totally crazy! It was snowing and 18 up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too cold! Too cold! Aaaaaaaaaargh! I would really like to have another 20 degrees on the thermometer.

      Delete
  2. It's been really cold even down here in southern California and so, so windy! I love your nature photographs -- they're just remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo happy to no longer have to shop for work clothes! Nowadays it seems I just head for the active wear section. :-)

    Seems like this winter in Tucson is comparable to the winter of 2012/2013..BRRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's like 2012/2013! Cold. That year was an El Nada year, totally neutral - but it was wet, windy and cold. I just reviewed the blog from that period and I spent a lot of time complaining about the weather. Bleah.

      Delete
  4. The east is stealing all the heat this year. And we are much warmer than the same time last year in Mexico. Hope it warms up a bit for you soon!

    ReplyDelete