Thursday, March 28, 2024

Bike and Hike

Hola!  How are things where you are?  We're good.  Yesterday we had a frisky wind out of the north, but we decided to ride anyway.  It is so painful to recover from losing fitness, we try not to let that happen.  We rode from Christopher Columbus north to see what's shaking with the sewer pipe project.  The entrance to the nice park (Silverbell Crossing) is still blockaded due to the heavy equipment in the area.  Fortunately there is another park with restrooms not much farther north.  The sewer project continues.

Note the pile of dirt sitting on the concrete.  The concrete is a water diversion channel.  When monsoon is strong, there is a lot of water flowing, quickly.  After the Rillito flooded back in the 1980s, Tucson got serious about controlling flood waters.  They've dug up the diversion channel to make the trench for the sewer pipe.  Eventually, they'll have to put the concrete back where it came from.

Today we hiked a loop we did back in 2018.  It's a nice loop, there is some up/down but there is not gruesome descending like the last loop we did.  It was cloudy, which was good for our skin, but not so good for photos.




This is a Globe Mallow.  They're pretty and grow everywhere.


This morning was veeeery stressful.  Jim was on Facebook, and his cursor rolled against something.  Suddenly a voice was saying that someone was using Jim's IP address to steal money/data/whatever, and Jim's laptop was frozen to stop the transaction.  The voice then starting telling us to call the phone number on the screen to talk to Microsoft security.  It was a really well done hack.  If this ever happens to you, turn off your laptop/pc with the power button.  That's the only thing that will be working on your computer, everything else was frozen.  After the hardware is off, let it sit for a bit, like a minute.  Don't call the phone number, they're going to scam you using social engineering.  Once you power up, the hack will be gone, and no further action is required on your part.  I hate these people.  Obviously they're smart enough to write stuff like this, so why don't they use their talents for good?

I'm tired, so I think I will stop now.  There are many disturbing articles to link to, but I'm just going to give it a rest.


6 comments:

  1. 37 paddington: omg thank you for the heads up about that terrifying hack! On a brighter note, your outdoor activities are inspiring. Definitely an antidote to the stress of medical mysteries and modern living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That globe mallow is beautiful. Is it related to other mallows?


    Hackers are a pain. I lost my Instagram account by something that came via a friend..of course she had been hacked...so I had to start over again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, I'd have had a heart attack if a disembodied voice started yelling at me from my computer. Thanks for the warning. So far, I've managed to avoid being hacked, though have had friends report on FB that they or a family member had been hacked.
    Your hike looks like good fun and the globe mallow is a pretty plant. We had a couple of inches of snow last night - it should be gone by Monday or Tuesday so I will not be shovelling the damn stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing something green growing here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the voice came through the computer? talking to Jim live through the computer? did the hacker target Jim or did he just stumble into a trap? that just sucks.

    I wish I had someplace nearby to hike but it's just flat agricultural and ranching around here. lots of cotton and corn to look at but that's about all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I haven't heard of that particular hack -- not with a speaking voice and the computer freezing. I've occasionally had pop-up windows appear saying I'm infected with a virus and blah blah blah, but I just ignore them and keep up with system updates. Yes, when in doubt, just shut down the computer and restart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That scam has happened to me several times, one form or another. Yes, the on/off button is the only button to use.

    ReplyDelete