Saturday, July 4, 2026

The Fourth

Happy 4th for those who observe.  We do not.  We did go for a walk, which was warm, but good.  We need to walk more.  Our neighborhood is largely elderly, and many of the men are losing the ability to walk well.  They take very guarded tiny steps.  Jim's mother did this towards the end, she traded in her long stride for baby steps.  My current theory is that we need to walk more to avoid that.

There are approximately 400 Proud Boys parading through D.C. today.  It's hotter that the hubs of hell and some of them are suffering from the heat.  People on the streets are yelling at them, telling them to take their stupid Confederate flags and go home.  I support this position.  Here is an interesting photo from the subway.  The photo is by Cheney Orr, who is a freelance photographer.


Those people are just disgraceful.

We went to the John Finch Arboretum Wednesday.  It's a very pleasant aspect, with the exception of I90 running along its border.  The noise was ferocious.  They have many kiosks telling you about water management in urban areas and the importance of trees. 

It's difficult to see, due to the harsh sun and shadows, but this is a very large tree that was either hit by lightning or high winds that is currently broken.  There are two outliers now that used to be upright.


There are many marmots there.  Many.  They dig holes like this and then burrow.  Marmots really have no predators in Spokane, so they are multiplying.  


The creek, so there is a water supply for the critters.


Another house was re-roofed last week.  It was a huge roof.  Progress was slowed by this tire on their trailer blowing up.  It sounded like a bomb.

The chords are visible along the top of this photo, they sort of look like teeth.  They're big, that was a very heavy duty tire.


We saw this on the walk today, it's clever.


Other than this paltry offering, I have nothing to say.

10 comments:

  1. I was appalled at how many there were, 400 I read. They look so ridiculous in their uniform with their faces covered. The fact that they cover their faces so they can't be identified tells you all you need to know about them. If they're so damn proud, why hide their identities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those guys are Patriot Front, not Proud Boys. There's not much difference, except that the right-wing press is convinced that the Patriot Front is some kind of federal government conspiracy. They think all those guys are federal agents. The mind reels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consider the Proud Boys and their likes fringe groups. 47 backs them but hopefully the rest of the world has no interest. Their hiding behind masks also takes away any credibility.
    The Arboretum sounds like a good place to walk. The damaged tree looks to be very old. It is sad when an old tree is damaged. Hopefully it can be saved.
    Marmot holes are huge. I always have a few chipmunk and mole holes, and they are tiny in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother is 91 and while she still walks unaided around her house, she has started carrying a cane when she goes out. I've noticed the transition to small steps, and I think it's mostly because of their balance getting poor as well as lack of confidence and fear of falling. I make every effort to keep my stride long (well, as long as someone who's 5'1" can stride, ha!) and work on balance activities in hopes of avoiding this kind of decline. We walk every day unless the weather is impossible (ice or deep snow or unrelenting rain).

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Hl0aLJS6w&t=7s
    Like all wildlife pushed out of theri natural environment Alpine marmots may have moved into human habitat. They are not pests. We honor the marmot and they do have a plethora of predators looking for a tasty giant squirrel. dinner. In Wyoming we had loads of ground hogs, a marmot- In the cascades marmots were much larger and beneficial. When we worked the trails up there we claimed the name MARMOTS for our team. Envionmentaly sensitive using hand saws and machetes that sort of "friendly" trail clearing device.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOPS posted before I was done! sorry for the misspellings- anyway, I do agree -balancing and thigh muscles are pretty helpful no matter what age we are but more so as age takes over! Tai chi is helpful but too demanding for me , I am lazy. so I just use simple things - like standing on one foot with other leg raised , knees bent, while doing daily stuff- brushing teeth, doing dishes, etc.
      I am not sure what the proud boys want from life- other than their hate fueled bullying. They are KKK in different suits . They have a strong following devised primarily from the internet, another reason to unplug!

      Delete
  6. Gotta be proud of an Air Force Major who threw away his career to speak what should be obvious to any student of the constitution. He was released without charges. The administration wants this all to go away. Now he will face military court. Every member is explicitly taught that we have an obligation to refuse unlawful orders. I think he has a strong defense. I will bet it never comes to court-martial, however. Pete will have him discharged before that happens.

    The Marchers? Why don't people like that ever get heat stroke?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart aches for that poor child looking terrified on the subway. I hate being the kind of person who immediately thinks "I hope they all suffocate in their stupid masks" but there it is.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those White Nationalists are disgusting Hateful folks with clearly tortured Souls. That Photo will remain Iconic. I'm glad some of the scum suffered from the Heat, too bad the Heat didn't stroke some of them out, Natural Selection at work could and should cull the Herd of those kinds of Humans IMO. Of coarse that is most of Donnie Two Dolls staunchest Base and he attracts those kind and gives a permission structure for them to exist shamelessly and be emboldened. He wants to desperately "Make America White Again", that is what my Grandson called the MAGA Movement and he isn't Wrong. I Agree with Ceci, I hope they all would suffocate in their stupid Masks... and there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The proud boys aren't proud or else they would show their faces. I can only imagine the fear the young woman felt on that bus.
    I believe the fear of falling causes many people to take shorter steps. I know that I definitely do so in winter where there is often ice underfoot.

    ReplyDelete