Tuesday, November 7, 2023

In Tucson

We are here, we're still tired, and our feet hurt from standing so much.  I think tomorrow will be the last big push towards wedging many items in to small spaces.  It's still in the 90s (in November!) so we're not missing out on any riding opportunities.

Yesterday was a terrible, awful, no good day for me.  In the morning we opened a window.  Park model windows are metal framed and they weigh a ton.  When I went to close the window, the latches that allow it to move in the track were sticking, and somehow my finger got between the window and the window frame and the window dropped on my digit, trapping it.  Fortunately Jim was standing right there, with me screaming from the pain, and got the window open.  We both thought I had lost the tip of my finger.  Fortunately, I did not, and after an hour or two it quit hurting quite so much.  Here is finger.

Then, as if that wasn't enough, we took several bags of trash to the dumpster.  There is a concrete curb on the road that is flush with the ground beside it, except when there is a eight inch depression.  I didn't see it, my right foot rolled off and I dropped like a stone.  My left side took the brunt of it, because I landed on that side.  It's still fairly sore.  

In news of the good, we have internet, the modem arrived before we did.  It's DSL, there is no cable in the park.  Speeds are pretty good.  We actually got the TV to see the modem, so at least we have Amazon prime available.  Unfortunately, we can't make subtitles work, I do not know why.  The Firestick arrived today, so the two septuagenarians will now try to enter this decade and learn how to stream content.  I really think we need a visit from a 15 year old to do this for us.

Part of the last two days have been spent winnowing out the previous owners' stuff in the kitchen.  With the exception of one drawer, that part is over.  We're still working on the correct setting for the refrigerator, thus far the half and half has been frozen solid for two days, as well as a box of spring mix and a head of lettuce.  Patience will be required as we keep turning the dial down and reach the happy medium of not freezing the vegetables and keeping the milk cold enough.

It appears that Ohio has voted against the abortion ban, despite the best efforts of the GOP.  They're a bunch of lunatics.

That's it!  That's all I've got.


7 comments:

  1. You really did have a lousy day. I'm just so glad you weren't hurt worse. Falling down is so hard on us older folks. And yet Trump is leading Biden in 4 out of 5 major states. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The finger looks excruciating! The sensation of falling is so terrifying; I'm glad you didn't get seriously hurt. 90s in November? I can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a day!
    Good luck with the half and half...I have one..with one thermostat knob for both halves you have to strike a balance that gives you a freezer only just cold enough and a fridge just a bit too cold.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, I hope the finger heals quickly and you haven't done any serious damage in your fall.
    I've just started using a firestick. Thankfully my son is here to get it connected to the wifi. My biggest issue is remembering which app has which program.
    Hope you get to relax some and the bike rides happen soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, democracy had a better day yesterday than you had!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back to AZ! Sorry about the finger and the fall. I hope things are starting to fall into place. The 90's are now down to the 70's so that should be good riding weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, so sorry about your finger and your fall, both sound painful. I'm guessing that finger looked a lot worse the next day. I am far behind on blog posts, as we're working on the never-ending project from hell, walkways around our entire house. We finally finished the excavation and gravel fill, which we worked on (off & on) for the better part of a year, and we've now moved on to pavers. It looks great but is a ton of work at our ages. What were we thinking? I just hope we can get it done while we're both still able.

    Enjoy your time in Tucson. I'm sure once you're unpacked and settled in, things will be a bit better. We had a couple 80 degree days in NC lately, but it's settled down to fallish weather now. No snow, but we have had a couple hard freezes.

    ReplyDelete