Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Plants and Animals

It's still hot, it will be hotter by the end of the week.  Sooner or later this will break, but sooner would be better.

We got flu shots today, the old person's dosage, which has more zing to it than the regular vaccine.  As we age, our immune systems don't respond as well to vaccines, so more is better.  It's also knocking me on my butt.  My arm hurts and I'm sort of achy.  It doesn't last and after having pneumonia in 2016, I'll get the flu shot to decrease the chances of pneumonia.

We have had much wild life in the yard.  We finally gave up on the little cactus garden because the javelinas came back and chewed on them again.  So we pulled them up, redistributed the rocks that outlined the planting area and raked it over.  Javelinas are why we can't have nice things.  Farewell little cactus garden.


Yesterday we had birds and bunnies.  The palm tree is dropping little tiny fruits everywhere, the birds come and eat them.


In the lower right hand corner is the juvenile bunny that comes to spend time under the palms.


Yesterday we were driven out of the house by sheer unadulterated boredom.  We went to a nursery out on the east side, Mesquite Valley Growers.  They're huge, they recently added new space and are now very huge.  This is one of their bougainvilleas.


A cool looking cactus with pink fruit.


Another good looking cactus in a very nice pot.


These people have containers!  If they don't have it, you probably don't need it.


We bought a blue sage to go where the dying bottle brush plants were.  They were very frustrating, of the four we planted, they started out looking the best and then began their long inexorable slide into the grave.  So, they're gone, too. 

7 comments:

  1. We've only been back a week and im already for a break from the heat. But I think its going to be a few more weeks yet.

    We got our flu shots in Mibtana. My arm hurt for three days but Jim got sick like you. Pretty miserable for a couple days. But worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cobalt blue containers are quite beautiful. The color might have caused me to buy one, need or no need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a serious nursery.

    love your buddha. mine is much smaller but he sits exuding peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice nursery - pretty containers and pretty things to plant in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a big nursey locally, but a very mini version of the one you walked through. I used to give it my total support, until their version of Covid protocol. I knew what I wanted and where it was. They would not let me cut under the rope and exit, picking up the little pot on the way out. Insisted I must walk to the end, circle the greenhouses and then pick up the pot. I cut the line and left. It's a free country, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks a lot like the place I visited two weeks ago in Cave Creek. It's a huge nursery with lots of pots and lots of statues and yard ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the cobalt blue pots! Sorry about your garden endeavors. In NC our garden pests were always deer and squirrels. Javelinas are something I never thought of for garden decimation!

    ReplyDelete