Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Ospreys

Could the news be any worse?  Could things go off the rails any farther than they are?  I am, of course referring to three mass shootings in a week; Gilroy, Dayton and El Paso.  As I so frequently say, it's a good time to be old.  I'm tired of seeing the police action post so here are a couple of bird pictures.  They were taken out at Marymoor.  It's an Osprey nest, Ospreys are hawks and they build huge nests.

If you look next to the pole you can see the head of one of the chicks.


Here is a close up, now you can see both babies.


While we were looking at them, an adult flew in.  It did not spend much time feeding, and the chicks were extremely unhappy about the lack of chow.


There are two nests in the immediate vicinity of the park.  It's always nice to seem them in an urban environment.

Update to post:  I just found this picture on the internet.  This is an amazing example of nest hugeness.  That's the nest, with its maker on the right.

5 comments:

  1. That is a CRAZY nest! (The bottom one.) I've seen big osprey nests atop power poles in Florida, but none quite that extreme.

    I agree about all the recent news -- sheer madness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that Osprey nest is an marvel of avian architecture! And as for the news, I feel safer here in Mexico than I would in the US right now. At least I can go to Walmart without fearing for my life. Tragic on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We circled back last week in Wisconsin when we saw an osprey had built a nest on an osprey platform out in a field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ospreys and how they make "nest boxes" on tall posts so the birds can build in a safe place.

    It's interesting how the media has completely forgotten Gilroy. I just don't understand the need for violence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. every day this country gets closer to the drain.

    we have red shouldered hawks that stay year round and louisiana kites that show up in the spring and leave in the fall.

    ReplyDelete