Sunday, July 14, 2019

The Day in Seattle

We went into Seattle to look at cameras.  Mine are getting long in the tooth.  When I bought my Canon Elph 310HS I bought three of them, broke two of them, bought two more.  It's a good camera, but they're old.  So we looked at small cameras.  The first we considered was a Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II.  Amazon has it for $429.  That's going to make buying five of them difficult.  I do like the sensor size, I don't like the pop up flash.  My finger goes there, and it's only a matter of time before it tries to go up under my finger.  Also, it's heavy.


This is the follow on to my current camera.  Thirteen percent of reviewers don't like it.  Apparently it's difficult to get the wifi to talk to the phone (not a problem for me), and the iris frequently breaks.  It's a plastic body, which I don't know if that's bad or not. 
The worst part of all this is: point and shoot cameras are on their way out.  It used to be that every year there were scores of new models.  Not only is that not happening, no one is writing reviews of point and shoots anymore.  I don't like taking pictures with a phone.  For one thing, I have to put my reading glasses on to see anything.  With a camera, all I have to do is point in the general direction of the interesting thing and push the button.  The whole process can be done without actually seeing through the camera. So, I guess whatever I get, I better get five of them, with extra batteries.

Seattle continues its current trajectory of paving everything there is.  This is the new tunnel that's replacing the Alaskan Way Viaduct.  Note the lack of a full sized break down lane.


One of the many new apartment complexes in South Lake Union.  It's hard to see, but notice the windows are open.  These are not air conditioned.


Hydrangeas in court yards.



More hives.


As we walked on, we saw this RV parked on the street.  Some poor man was attempting to put large heavy boxes into the storage bays underneath the extended slide.  If it were me (and my back) I would have retracted the slide to improve my working conditions.


This is the door to the makeup room.  It's about four feet off the ground.  Stepping out of that could be painful.  Anyway, being the gawker that I am, I asked them who they were driving.  I thought it would be a band of some sort.  Actually, they were doing a photo shoot for plus size womens' clothing.  So there you go.


The woman in the white sweater was a study in bad manners.  First she jumped the queue for the hot dog stand.  She just walked up to the counter, in front the the six people who were waiting, and ordered two hot dogs.  THEN she tried to pay with Canadian dollars, but with no exchange rate.  The kid working the grill told her they couldn't take the money.  She got hostile.  Then an African-American man told her nicely that they could not exchange her currency.  She looked at him and said that since he was obviously unemployed, what would he know about anything?  The guy is a port worker, strong union, good wages.  He started laughing at her.  Eventually she paid using US$.


This is one of the guys that runs Dog in the Park.  If you're ever in Seattle, go there.  They also have vegan dogs.


Speaking of vegans, these are vegan activists protesting in Westlake Park.  One of them was debating a guy who was trying to mansplain her that humans MUST eat meat.  She was having none of that.


It was a good day.  Nice weather, a good walk and a hotdog with grilled cabbage and onions.  What could be better?

6 comments:

  1. The iris broke on my Canon Powershot too. it still works fine and is handy for taking on bike rides. I also have a Canon SX720 which has a great zoom, 40x, its very versatile and portable. Like all small cameras with that amount of zoom holding them steady can be a problem, but a good all rounder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used Powershots for years ... two of them over 25 years (one even used underwater) with no problems at all. I did have to buy an extra battery. Great little cameras for on-the-go people.

    Seattle is full of strange sites. I probably would have not been as nice to the lady in white!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm - they're wearing Guy Fawkes masks. Not sure I see the connection between religious terrorism and veganism. Probably would have been better to mask up like a carrot or cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had two Canon powershots and I will never buy another one. while they work fine and has all kinds of adjustments re light and other settings and I really need a camera I can put on a tripod, they just aren't sturdy enough. the first one fell out of my pocket when I sat down and hit the floor and it was totally broken. nothing would work. same thing happened to the second one only this time it slid off a low bed onto the floor. both falls were 3' or less.

    I don't know if I would trust those balconies jutting out like that and I sure wouldn't want to have the apartment underneath one.

    and what is it with some white people. totally rude and entitled and why would she think she could use Canadian money unless she thought the kid would be too ignorant to refuse it and then get pissed because her scam didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I wasn't around to see the white sweater beat at her own game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That woman with the sweater -- WOW! What is WRONG with people?!

    I'm moving on more and more to pictures on my phone. It's not perfect, not by a longshot, but it IS so compact and convenient. I'm getting used to it. I haven't used my Powershot in years and years. I usually use a Canon AOS 5D Mark III, but that sucker is HEAVY. Especially with additional lenses. It definitely does a lot more than a phone, though, so if I want to take serious pictures I still use it.

    ReplyDelete