Monday, January 8, 2018

Sunrise, Hike and Two Articles

Greetings from the desert!  We were up early today and saw the sun rise.  This is very unusual for us, so it was nice to see a good one.

P1370091

I swiped this off of instagram and twitter.  If I could find the tweet I would give photo credit, but it has moved on down the twitter stream.  This is the most recent SpaceX launch.  It’s a long exposure showing the take off and eventual landing of the first stage of the rocket.  There has been some speculation on the internet that the top secret pay load was lost, but since it’s top secret, no one is commenting.  I thought it was a really cool photo.

spaceex

Saturday we did a new to us hike up Brown Mountain.  It starts at the Brown Mountain picnic area across from the Gilbert Ray Campground.  It starts off as a ramble through the saguaros and then gets pretty steep.  We’re heading for the top of Brown Mountain, which is center photo.

IMG_4480-001

People actually mountain bike here.  I understand this not.

IMG_4468

They also mountain bike here, some of those steps are two feet tall.  It looks bad to me in either direction.

IMG_4470

Eventually we were at the top and we walked along a ridge line for awhile.  We could see the trail up ahead making yet another ascent up another hill and we bailed.  The route back was visible in the valley below us, so we walked to a low point between hills and turned right towards the path home.

IMG_4474

The return trail is not interesting.  It’s a mainly flat meander at the base of the hills, with nothing much to look at.  If you want to do the flat part first turn right at this sign.  That will put you on the loop counter clockwise.  I think the way we went was better, given the amount of loose rock, I’d rather be going up it than down it.  I would rate this loop a solid “meh”.  I don’t know that we would do it again.

IMG_4477

The girl hummingbird has been by to see us some.  The males seem to have moved on.

IMG_0006


Politics warning!  Click away if you can’t stand anymore links to articles.

I have really really tried to keep the politics off the blog, but I find I can not.  These are two of the most terrible things I have read lately, and I don’t want to lose the links.  The first was published just before New Years, when no one was really paying attention.  One of the worst things the administration did in that week was reinstating copper mining next to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Northern Minnesota.  Ok, well maybe suspending inspections of deep water drilling rigs was bad, or maybe cancelling regulations about what to do with waste water from fracking was the worst.

If you need some serious outrage about the whole of 2017, Politico listed 138 policy changes made by the administration.  It’s a very long read.  None of them are good.

Other than this, I have nothing really interesting to report.

4 comments:

  1. We are on a news hiatus right now. Barry just can't take seeing Trump's ugly mug and hearing more bad news. I still read some articles on Daily Kos, Huffington Post, CNN, etc., but we don't watch the national news. I miss my daily dose of David Muir, but I love my husband more than I love seeing DM on the tube. Barry has been a lot happier since he's taken this New Year's break, but I still feel the need to know what's going on. At least with me keeping up online, somewhat, I can let him know if it appears that nuclear war is imminent... (I only wish that were a joke!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Gorgeous sunrise photo!

      Delete
    2. Oh tell me! Jim goes on news black outs and I have to bite my tongue to keep from yelling "did you see this!!??!!". I watch the news while Jim is in the shower. Should we be encouraged that North Korea is sending athletes and a cheering section to the Olympics?

      Delete
    3. Allison (and Emily although I don’t know you), it’s a quandary to me that it seems so much more difficult for the men. If Dave walks in the room and I have CNN on, he sometimes just has to walk out again (although I think a lot of his distress comes from the screaming heads). He gets his daily dose of news reading the NYTimes, WaPost and WSJ in the morning and then can let it go for the rest of the day. It’s not that he doesn’t care — it’s that he cares too much and can’t take the stress. Perhaps Sweetie knows best.

      Delete