Thursday, April 28, 2016

Jim Has a Cold and Stupid Technology

Here is a lovely blooming cactus for your consideration.  This was taken yesterday morning, before the troubles. 


The sunset was kind of interesting.  There wasn't really any color, but it was quite striking.  We're having a lot of clouds marching through with the high winds. 


As the day progressed yesterday, it became evident that Jim has caught a cold.  He hasn't been sick since 2013, so I guess he's due.  For some reason, we can never remember to buy a thermometer, I have no idea why that is.  So today, I took myself to Target for Tylenol and Nyquil and to get a stinking thermometer.  Did you know that some of them cost $60?  For a thermometer!  Anyway, I got this one.  What I did not realize is that it only works with a smart phone.  One must download an app to use this device.  The app is free, but it wants access to your contact list, all of your files, and your location.  This just irritates the living snot out of me.  Why does an app feel like it should be able to rummage around through all of your personal data?  So, this is going back.  Later I may nip down to Walgreens and see if they have something that doesn't require an app.  This is just stupid technology.


I'm continuing to improve.  I still have a cough that makes people stare at me in the grocery store, but it is better.  The doctor says that it'll be 4 to 6 weeks before this is completely over.  One of the things I am doing this summer is getting a pneumonia vaccine shot.  I do not ever want to have this again.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Brave New World, where Big Brother Man-ufacturers feel compelled to digitalize the simplest items into complex and irritating surveillance devices...
    Don't catch Jim's cold, Allison.
    Box Canyon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on it boss! We've got as many isolation processes as possible in place.

      Delete
  2. Too funny about the thermometer. We have a small digital one that isn't that smart ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found a dumb thermometer today - no cell phone required.

      Delete