Saturday, September 17, 2011

Aggravation in the Blogosphere

This past week, Blogger, in their infinite wisdom, decided to start rolling out a "lightbox" photo viewer for the users of Blogspot; without telling anyone before hand. The help forums are all a-buzz with haters of the feature wanting to know how to disable it. So, a piece of html code was put up on the forum, and I have cut and pasted it into my html design template. This required some faith due to the fact that I do not know anything about html, other than it's a scripting language.

Anyhoo, I would say that the blog is 99% back to normal. Hopefully this will keep the dreaded lightbox at bay, and enlarged photos will display as they used to.

If you do see any odd behavior, please let me know in the comments. Thanks.

Update to post: Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggh. The fix is not consistent. I'm not sure which is worse, something unattractive all of the time, or something that is fixed most of the time. In user interface design school, they taught us that inconsistency was a terrible design error. I don't know. Maybe I'll move to another hosting platform.

2 comments:

  1. This new "feature" sucks. As an artist and designer, with some web-design experience, I like to think I can decide how people experience my blog. In general, I don't like pop-ups of any kind - I find them intrusive and unfriendly. Google might just as well have decided to turn my blog pink, just because they thought it would be a "pretty neat idea".

    Hope they get rid of this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To make matters worse, images from Feb 2010 and older don't load at all.

    The testing phase of this decision must have been an exhausting two minutes.

    ReplyDelete