Saturday, October 14, 2023

More Autumn, More Wheels Falling Off

Today was the Ring of Fire eclipse.  Spokane was under a heavy cloud cover, so we saw none of it.  It did seem darker than was warranted by the clouds, we suppose that was due to the eclipse.  About noon, the sun popped out and all was bathed in sunlight.  We decided to not waste the day and got the bikes on the car and headed out for the trail head.  

Yesterday was also a gorgeous day, but we decided it was time to cut the hydrangeas back, as well as the peonies.  There was also removal some of the wretched dead flower blossoms dropped by the wretched Rose of Sharon.  We have a piece of shade cloth over the window well closest to the hibiscus, the spent flowers are sticking to it which makes clean up difficult. 

I have some photos.  This was about a week ago, when the trees were turning yellow.


The hydrangeas have turned brownish and are dropping their leaves.

Our neighbor is growing these.  They're very cheerful, what ever they are.

These are from the lake today.  It turned out to be a very cold ride.  As soon as we got on the bikes the clouds rolled in and it was not nearly as pleasant as we had hoped it would be.  However, we went anyway, rode fast because we were cold, and ended up with our second best elapsed time ever on this route. 



Well, once again the wheels are coming off everywhere.  The republicans can not get their act together to elect a speaker.  All it would take is for five moderate republicans to vote for Hakeem Jeffries for speaker and work could actually be done.  Currently funding for Ukraine and the United States of America are in jeopardy.  Apparently Israel is asking for aid, as well. 

I'm not talking about Israel and Hamas, anything I say is likely to be wrong or offend someone, so no talking about that.

Let's talk about Leonard Leo.  This guy is undoubtedly one of the biggest, if not the biggest, threats to democracy.  He's responsible for the six conservative judges currently sitting on the Supreme Court.  He's also working on filling lower level prosecutor and judgeships with people he likes.  He's unafraid to threaten governors who go against his will.  It's an absolutely disgusting abuse of dark money.  Propublica has done a bang up job of documenting the entire sordid mess.  It's worth reading.

Here is a nice photo of Leonides, a Mexican Hairless dog who lives with Molly Jong-Fast.  I was wrong!  He's a Chinese Crested.

Here is the Powderpuff form of the breed.


That's it!  That's all I've got.

6 comments:

  1. Your tree picture is gorgeous. I just cannot watch the news anymore. Our government leaders have gone nuts. And are destroying us. I can't remember when you're headed south but I hope it's not this week. Still hot down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the Republicans are showing (once again) that they are incapable of governing.

    Love the yellow trees. I think the mystery flowers are cosmos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dog doesn't look quite hairless. the trees are pretty but I prefer my yellow in the landscape to be flowers. and those pink and white flowers are cosmos. as for Israel, I'm keeping my mouth shut as well. I already know my opinion is unpopular and I have no desire to either try to convince or defend. here's one ray of possibility...if enough republican House members don't show up for the vote because they are against Jordan which apparently they have talked about doing, Hakeem Jeffries has a chance of being elected Speaker. wouldn't that be a kick in the butt to MAGAt reps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, your neighbour's flowers are cosmos.
    The article on Leonard Leo (who I've never heard of) is frightening. It reminds me that church and state should be kept separate, but this guy and his cronies certainly don't have any issue with forcing their beliefs on others and have the money and influence to do it.
    As for the situation in Israel and Gaza, all I can say is, there will be no winners in this conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reckon that hamas just handed Iz the whole Gaza bag. So grateful that jerod K. Establishment peace in the Middle East…right?
    Anyway blah blah…I love the tree photo so so so much!, think I may try to paint it.

    ReplyDelete