Sunday, December 11, 2022

Rain and Fog

Yesterday we got about three more inches of veeeeeery wet snow.  Heavy wet snow, the kind of snow that breaks tree branches.  Jim got out the snow blower and got the walk up to the front porch and the driveway cleared.  I put on my new winter yard work footwear and started in on getting the snow off the arborvitae and the giant juniper.  Their many branches are spindly, and snow leaves them bent. 

These are good for tromping around in soft, wet, deepish snow.  Even with gaiters, snow is trying to make your feet cold.  With these I pretty much stay on top of the snow, except when I don't.

Our neighbor (former arborist) shakes his trees to get the snow off because it does less damage than sticking a rake into the branches and trying to dislodge the snow.  Since I like the arborvitae, I'm trying to be nice to them, so there was a lot of shaking and pulling off of ice chunks.  Much fun was had.  Did I mention that the entire time we were out there, we were getting sleet which eventually turned into rain?

After the yard, there was dinner to be prepared.  Once again, it was stoup.  I had a large package of chicken thighs, so there was food for three nights.  Cooking once for three meals is good.


Today we had fog.  Here we are in the morning.


It eventually cleared up a little and got up to 38F.  This now rates as not miserably cold.  This is the cul de sac down the street.  The guy that plows here has been rolling snow up on the grass over there.  I was too far away, but if you look at the short person, he's standing in front of a snow cave his Dad was digging for him.


Here is the big rock.  It's an unimpressive photo due to the lack of light due to the returning fog.


Elon Musk has invited all of the terrible people back on to twitter.  Pretty soon it's going to be like Parler or Gettr, full of hate and vitriol.  I've already gotten an account on Post, and it's a lot nicer over there.  Anyway, this was up on twitter today.

The orange dumpster fire did say those words.  I had some hope after the mid-terms, but now I'm not so sure.  Politico printed an interview with Fiona Hill, in which she discusses how the republicans and Fox news are functioning as conduits for Putin's propaganda and his world view.  Twitter is starting to be a conduit as well.  It's worth reading, and you can find it by CLICKING HERE.   

On this happy note, I think I will stop talking.

 

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad it's you and not me having to deal with snow. I got the OK to open my account at Post but haven't done it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dumped Twitter as soon as Musk allowed IQ45 back on the platform. I've gone to Reddit, which I don't like very much but it will have to do for now. Hadn't heard of Post but I'm not sure I want to add another SM.
    You're certainly getting the snow this year. We've been dealing with the cold, but it's warmed up a bit so more snow on the way. Thankfully, not as much as you are seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't read the whole article, it's too depressing.

    That's a lot of snow. Won't you miss it when you're down in Arizona?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too much snow. Wet feet not good. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ironically it is currently colder here in wales than at my house in the French Alps - where I shall be next week - hooray! Not sure that Oscar is looking forward to the journey but he'd rather that than kennels I'm sure. I have given up on Twitter, I find it to be such an intolerant and disrespectful place, and it's a pity because that political noise drowns out all the good folk. Take care in that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am holding onto my Twitter account for one reason only: Often it is the quickest way to reach out to a company for a customer service issue. I've had quick and helpful responses from Fedex, Capital One, and others when I didn't feel like calling and waiting in an endless queue. But that's all I'll use it for, going forward. And if the corporations all leave, then I'll leave too!

    ReplyDelete