Wednesday, February 23, 2022

A Meandering Ramble

Mellow greetings, citizens.  Looking in my file of recent pictures, I don't find all that much interesting that has happened since I last posted.  We have been doing some other house projects, but none reach a level of interest that would justify making you read about them.

I will say that we decided to engage an insurance agent to help with the process of shopping our car and house insurance bundle.  We're currently with Progressive, and we kept thinking that they were really expensive.  Nope!  We were wrong about that.  The agent did tell us our limits on personal liability and under insured motorist were too low so we will increase those amounts.  The most interesting thing was the Safeco report on us showed an at-fault car accident from 2019.  Actually, we were rear ended.  Thank the saints that we still had the photos I took at the accident scene of the other driver's insurance card.  We called his insurer and they changed it in their data base.  Hopefully this will propagate everywhere.  It was a clerical error, but could have been very expensive.  So, Progressive it is!  Oddly enough, the policies offered by Costco and our credit union were more expensive with less coverage.

A careful examination of a wall we do not want to paint has revealed some paint damage.  We will hang a photo there.  The candidates are as follows.



They are a prickly pear in bloom, the Hickman Bridge in Capital Reef, and from the trail to Observation Point in Zion.  The wall really wants a portrait oriented frame, but I think I'm going with the Hickman Bridge.  Although, maybe not, we'll see.

As we all know, the wretched Putin has invaded Ukraine.  It always sounds weird to my ear not to say "the Ukraine" which makes no sense, we don't say "the Russia."  Anyway, the Ukrainian language, which is NOT Russian, does not have articles.  Vox put up an interesting article as to why Putin is doing such a bad thing, which you can read here.

From the department of covid is not the flu, we learn that one strain of the flu appears to have gone extinct during the time of masking, social distancing and excessive hand washing.  Look for the pink column on the chart.  As of July/August 2020, it's not there anymore.  Then look for the teal column, as of May/June 2021, H1N1 is not there.  The article this chart was lifted from posits that B/Yamagata could be extinct.  It's too early to tell about H1N1, which as you no doubt recall caused the Spanish Flu.

Who remembers the Griswold decision?  I actually do not, but I do know it was brought to overturn state laws banning contraception and any sexual position other than the missionary position.  Yes, they really did have laws like that on the books.  Anyway, Griswold is the basis for Roe V Wade as well as same sex marriage.  It was the decision that told the government to stay out of people's personal business.

Looks like we are heading back to the good old days - for white men.

The governor of Texas provided us with even more reason to hate him.

I think Florida is backing off on their requirement that teachers out their LGBTQ students, but Texas has one upped them in terms of being heinous.

Denmark is seeing increasing case counts of Omicron BA.2, which is the follow on to Omicron.  One can only hope it won't over run the US, now that masking and distancing is being done away with, but there's no reason why it won't.

Finally, here is something that won't make your hair stand on end.  This mural of Harriet Tubman is the most amazing art.  There is a page on the artist, here.


These are the things I've saved off my twitter feed that I don't want to lose, so here they are and now you can see them, too.

12 comments:

  1. That last photo undid me utterly! I have tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of Tubman is incredible. I vote for the trail to observation point picture for your wall. I just cannot deal with the horrors going on in this world. So I've stuck my head under the covers and told them to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard choice on the photos. And yes, certain people are trying to turn this country to control by religious fanatics. And a guy running for office in one state wants to make contraception illegal because he thinks people who use contraception and it fails are more likely to want an abortion. I think/hope Abbott and Paxton are digging their own graves with these latest attacks on parents and trans kids and not only trans kids. Teachers, etc are supposed to out any kid they think is gay to their parents. Pretty soon it will be against the law in Texas for women to wear pants. And re the flu... and they said masks don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the prickly pear. :) I can't fathom where we're headed and am terrified of the actions of these people in power. Ukraine...nothing to say there that's printable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Harriet Tubman mural surely is powerful. I liked the descriptive page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that photo of the Hickman Bridge. And that mural of Harriet Tubman is inspired.

    As for republican politicans, WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting studies. We need more in depth studies to learn more.
    That is some mural!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for the Hickman bridge since I'd be quite happy to have that one on the wall. Now the Tubman mural is simply powerful!

    We have our own Repub lites here in Canada, with the Albertan government doing something similar if slightly less intrusive as Abbot. LGBTQ groups were disallowed in schools, and teachers must inform parents...no prosecution yet.

    As for the Russian invasion of Ukraine, I'm beyond worried. The news is not good and I expect it will only get worse over time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to say the Hickman Bridge was my favorite of the three, so it's good you were already leaning that way!

    I cannot conceive (no pun intended!) of how any legal authority could justify a law that calls for prosecuting couples for using birth control. Not to mention regulates sexual positions. That boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still not convinced that Trump is not the Anti-Christ. I am glad I am old, the future is scary. I liked the prickly pear, bt I am partial to anything that blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Photos? I'd vote for the third one - trail to Observation Point. I use Progressive - considerably cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those Texas republicans have gone completely off the rails. I wish they would crash and burn.

    ReplyDelete